Monday, May 21, 2012

Another BDG? Not Exactly


The other day I heard from Clyde Nakamura, who sent along "a recent game where I took down IM Ling-Fong (elo 2400) with the Kahiko Hula Gambit on the Internet Chess Club at game 15 minutes. Actually on the ICC you have the option of playing a computer program. IM Ling-Fong is a computer chess engine."

And Clyde added: "Playing IM Ling-Fong is equivalent to playing an actual IM." Well, I haven't played on ICC for many years, and I'm not up to speed on their rating and title rules, but after playing through this game I admit to having some doubts about the validity of this computer's IM rating. Not about Clyde's report, but about how ICC does the calculations.

I know computer engines are notorious for pawn-grabbing, but this Ling-Fong character goes overboard, and  gets his its Queen discombobulated and sees its game go to pieces. Surely no real IM would do such a thing. So I hesitated posting the game--until I watched today's eighth game of the World Chess Championship, a disaster for Gelfand who resigned without making his 17th move, his Queen trapped at h1.

So this is not a BDG, but it is a gambit. Gambits are good for the soul. And I like this game, because just as in the BDG, White gets the open f-file, an open road to the Black king. The notes are Clyde's, except for my comment after White's third move.