Friday, May 11, 2012

Not so dumb Diemer-Duhm Gambit

This morning Clyde Nakamura sent me a dozen "recent blitz games on the Internet," as he put it. Among them are the two quick little Diemer-Duhm Gambits which I include below with my very light notes. Okay, I admit, my notes are almost always light.

While writing this post I stopped to check what Wikipedia had to say about the Diemer-Duhm. Not so much. "The Diemer-Duhm Gambit is also a variation of the Blackmar-Diemer Gambit declined with the move order 1.d4 d5 2.e4 e6 3.c4." That's what it says, but, well, it's not quite right. I'd call the D-D a close relative,  maybe a first-cousin, but a litter-mate, not really. We could help the Wikipedia page out, but it's too much trouble.

Anyway, there are better references to be googled. Although it appears he hasn't updated them in quite a while, Jyrki Heikkinen's Diemer-Duhm Gambit pages  (which Wikipedia does link to) are still probably the best source, including a large PGN database of games. Jyrki wrote several articles for my old BDG World, and has specialized in the line.

Give the Diemer-Duhm a try. It's almost like driving a BDG.